Finding the perfect location for your family portrait session might seem like a big deal but it really doesn’t have to be difficult. A location usually drives some of the other decisions you will need to make about your shoot so it’s important to choose the right place. Here are a few questions to ask yourself before you decide on a location and be sure to discuss it with your photographer:
- What kind of theme do I want? If a particular building or natural backdrop would work well with your theme, look around your area for spots that meet your requirements. If you don’t know what kind of backdrop you want, take an afternoon drive around your city for inspiration. It’s easy to overlook beautiful spots that are practically in your backyard. Ask family, friends or your photographer for ideas, too.
- Are you allowed to take pictures there? Make sure that you can legally take pictures at the location that you have in mind. If it’s not public property or available to the public you will need to get permission first.
- Is it accessible? Consider that not all outdoor locations may be available all year round or you might not be able to get to them at all. Your safety is also an important aspect to think about before you decide on a location. Taking pictures on a mountain ledge may look neat but it’s best not to put yourself in harm’s way.
- How do you get to your location? Will it be easy to walk to the session location and if not, are you able to change your clothing and touch up your hair and makeup before the shoot? You should also find out whether there is a restroom that’s close enough in case you need it.
- Will the photo session be in a public place? If the location you have chosen has a lot of foot traffic, you need to ask yourself whether you are comfortable being photographed in front of others. If not, you might want to rethink your choice in location.
Make sure that your location doesn’t become a distraction and that there is shelter nearby if you need it. And remember, your photographer is a perfect resource! Your location tells a story so it’s worthwhile to choose a meaningful spot.
We take great pride in the locations we select for each and every photography shoot. Rest assured we will help you decide on the best location(s) for your upcoming session. Clients often choose us because we “hold” their hands through the entire process, making your family portraits an easy and stress-free experience. Ready to book? Call the studio at 912-200-5284, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I can’t wait to see you!