Welcome to a new monthly installment, “Around the Hill”! As your Richmond Hill photographer and a local business owner, I thought it would be fun to introduce you to some of my favorite fellow local businesses in and around Richmond Hill with a short Q&A session (plus some images, of course)! Considering this awesome guy is my biz neighbor, I figured he would be the perfect business to start with.
Introducing the fun, exuberant, incredibly talented, energetic Jim Leahy of the Leahy Art Gallery!
- How long have you been in business? 14 years
- Where are you located? Leahy Art Gallery is located at 11258 Ford Avenue, across from the Ford Plantation, in Richmond Hill Court.
- Describe your business. What service(s) or product(s) do you offer? Everything art related: commissioned art pieces, custom picture framing, art installation services, free in-home framing consultations, or you may visit the gallery and frameshop.
- How did you get started in this business? My father was a famous Marine Corps combat artist who taught me everything I know about the principles and elements of design. Additionally, every job I’ve ever had has been art related, including technical illustration, art supplies, framing, art acquisition, delivery and installation.
- What is unique about your business? The in-home designed, custom framing option includes free pickup, delivery, and installation of all framed pieces. Just call 727-5330 to schedule a visit.
- To what do you attribute your business success? Having worked with literally hundreds of very talented interior designers, art consultants, gallery owners and framing decorators since I opened Leahy Art Installation 20 years ago in the San Francisco/Bay area.
- Where do you see your business in 5 years? Right where it is. Perfect.
- What do you enjoy most about what you do? People are generally very happy when I’m done. Whether it’s painting a commissioned artwork, framing a special piece of art or photo, or installing the artwork for a new homeowner. Also, there’s no such thing as an art-emergency.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received? If possible, buy the gallery, don’t rent.
- Favorite quote? “Water off a duck’s butt.”
- When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? Seriously? An artist, of course.
Jim, thanks so much for your time and for sharing your talents with the Richmond Hill community. You may reach Jim at the Leahy Art Gallery by: phone (912) 727-5330, website, or via Facebook.
Have a business you’d like to see featured? Please call the studio at 912-200-5284.