Welcome to a new monthly installment, “Around the Hill”! As your Richmond Hill photographer and a local business owner, I thought it would be fun to introduce you to some of my favorite fellow local businesses in and around Richmond Hill with a short Q&A session (plus some images, of course)! Considering this awesome guy is my biz neighbor, I figured he would be the perfect business to start with.
Introducing the fun, exuberant, incredibly talented, energetic Jim Leahy of the Leahy Art Gallery!
- How long have you been in business? 14 years
- Where are you located? Leahy Art Gallery is located at 11258 Ford Avenue, across from the Ford Plantation, in Richmond Hill Court.
- Describe your business. What service(s) or product(s) do you offer? Everything art related: commissioned art pieces, custom picture framing, art installation services, free in-home framing consultations, or you may visit the gallery and frameshop.
- How did you get started in this business? My father was a famous Marine Corps combat artist who taught me everything I know about the principles and elements of design. Additionally, every job I’ve ever had has been art related, including technical illustration, art supplies, framing, art acquisition, delivery and installation.
- What is unique about your business? The in-home designed, custom framing option includes free pickup, delivery, and installation of all framed pieces. Just call 727-5330 to schedule a visit.
- To what do you attribute your business success? Having worked with literally hundreds of very talented interior designers, art consultants, gallery owners and framing decorators since I opened Leahy Art Installation 20 years ago in the San Francisco/Bay area.
- Where do you see your business in 5 years? Right where it is. Perfect.
- What do you enjoy most about what you do? People are generally very happy when I’m done. Whether it’s painting a commissioned artwork, framing a special piece of art or photo, or installing the artwork for a new homeowner. Also, there’s no such thing as an art-emergency.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received? If possible, buy the gallery, don’t rent.
- Favorite quote? “Water off a duck’s butt.”
- When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? Seriously? An artist, of course.
Have a business you’d like to see featured? Please call the studio at 912-200-5284.